Many of us conservative bloggers had named HR1388 or the GIVE Act a “mandatory servitude bill” but in actuality the mandatory part had been removed from the bill before passage. That is because that mandatory bit has been formed into a bill of its own that is called HR 1444 or the “Congressional Commission on Civic Service Act”. If we thought HR 1388 was heinous, just look at what this bill contains:
Under Duties, Section 4:
(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.
(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
(7) The need for a public service academy, a 4-year institution that offers a federally funded undergraduate education with a focus on training future public sector leaders.
(8) The means to develop awareness of national service and volunteer opportunities at a young age by creating, expanding, and promoting service options for primary and secondary school students and by raising awareness of existing incentives.
(9) The effectiveness of establishing a training program on college campuses to recruit and educate college students for national service.
I believe this bill speaks for itself. Get on the phone and call those representatives. This bill is currently in the House.